Study in Czech
IHM in Prague 8 offers curriculum for both Czech and international students with instruction in the Czech language. In order for students to successfully fulfill their responsibilities - lectures, seminars, exercises, written work, exams and tests, theses, etc., all students, including foreigners, must be able to write and communicate in Czech on at least a B1 level (in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for languages).
International applicants should familiarize themselves with the required knowledge of the Czech language for study at the Institute of Hospitality Management including sample questions from the "Czech for Foreigners" placement test (level B1).
Listening: I can understand the main points of clear standard speech on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. I can understand the main points of many radio or TV programmes on current affairs or topics of personal or professional interest when the delivery is relatively slow and clear.
Reading: I can understand texts that consist mainly of high frequency everyday or job-related language. I can understand the description of events, feelings and wishes in personal letters.
Spoken interaction: I can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. I can enter unprepared into conversation on topics that are familiar, of personal interest or pertinent to everyday life (e.g. family, hobbies, work, travel and current events).
Spoken production: I can connect phrases in a simple way in order to describe experiences and events, my dreams, hopes and ambitions. I can briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans. I can narrate a story or relate the plot of a book or film and describe my reactions.
I can express myself in clear, well-structured text, expressing points of view at some length. I can write about complex subjects in a letter, an essay or a report, underlining what I consider to be the salient issues. I can select a style appropriate to the reader in mind.
Requirements for applicants
For bachelor students - full and part-time
Graduation from secondary school including completion of the leaving exam. Applicants should attach an officially notarized copy of their final grade report along with the application for study.
Students who have graduated from secondary school this year should include their results, confirmed by the school principal, along with their application. (Graduates from schools abroad must submit a validated document no later than registration day).
Secondary school knowledge of at least one world language is required.
Students at IHM study two languages, one of which must be English.
International students must have knowledge of the Czech (or Slovak) language on at least a B1 level (in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for languages).
International students generally take "Czech for Foreigners" as their second language.
Part-time students may substitute another foreign language for the mandatory English language requirement.
Suitable state of health - for the field of Hotel Management, a medical certificate confirming physical fitness is required.
For part-time students in the bachelor’s program - at least one year of full-time work experience in any field. For the bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management, only graduates of secondary hotel schools will be able to study after high school without work experience.
For master’s students - full and part-time
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree or corresponding part of the integrated master’s degree
- Knowledge of a foreign language at the bachelor level is required.
- Continuing study in two foreign languages.
- International students must have knowledge of the Czech (or Slovak) on at least a B1 level (in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for languages).
- Part-time students may substitute another foreign language for the mandatory English language requirement.
- For part-time students in the bachelor’s program - at least one year of full-time work experience in any field.
- In order to successfully manage the professional subjects from hotel management, bachelor degree holders without a professional background in the field may be required by the IHM to sit for compensatory exams during their studies in the master’s program. Students may complete the extra subjects in their 1st and 2nd semesters of the master’s program at no extra charge, with a maximum of 2-3 subjects, then adjust their elective subjects within the framework of the credit system.
The admissions process consists of:
- Verification of suitability for study - fulfilling all requirements.
- Choice of foreign languages - English (mandatory); second language - German, Spanish, Russian, French, or other (the number of interested students must meet the required minimum of 15).
- Assessment of the level of foreign language knowledge with the help of placement tests, and sorting into appropriate groups for instruction.
Acceptance for study
The decision for acceptance is based on the fulfillment of all requirements and verification of suitability by the Rector. Final decisions for acceptance are based on the order in which applications were submitted.
All applicants will receive the decision for acceptance in written form on the day of enrollment.
The decision for acceptance is conditional upon closing a contract with IHM and paying the tuition within the term stated in the decision for acceptance - usually 14 days after acceptance, otherwise, the applicant loses his place and it will be offered to another.
Applicants may request an appeal to the acceptance decision. Requests must be made to the Rector within 30 days of receiving the decision. The Rector may grant the request or confirm the original decision - within 14 days of receiving the request. Decisions by the Rector are final.
Dates for submission of applications:
30. 04. 2021 (1st round)
31. 07. 2021 (2nd round)
30. 09. 2021 (3rd round)
THE APPLICATION FORM FOR STUDY for the academic year 2021/2022 is possible to send here online until 30th of September 2021: